Mobile home parks have a bad rap. Many people believe they are outdated, cramped, and unsightly. However, this couldn’t be farther from the truth. In today’s housing market, many people are choosing to downsize to smaller homes. But, they don’t want to live in a typical house. That’s where a mobile home comes in. They are more like apartments than traditional homes, offering more privacy and space than a trailer park.
If you’ve been looking for an affordable place to live, a mobile home park may be the answer. Here’s why you should consider one and how they differ from other kinds of parks.
What is a Mobile Home Park?
A mobile home park is a large, public-owned land area where residents can rent space in mobile homes. The land is usually owned by a municipality and the homes are rented through a private company that manages the park.
Depending on where you live, a mobile home park may or may not be a good fit for you. They are not for everyone. But if you’re looking for a place to live that’s more spacious and affordable than a house, a mobile home park may be perfect!
What does a Mobile Home Park Include?
Most mobile home parks include a few standard features:
- An area for each park resident to park their mobile home (usually in a separate, secure park lot)
- Waste collection and disposal services
- Sewage removal services
- Some parks offer other standard amenities, like swimming pools, recreation centers, or clubhouses. You’ll also likely find a community mailbox and maybe a playground.
- Depending on the park, you may also have access to a shared driveway, community garden, or even a dog park.
Why Live in a Mobile Home Park?
The main reason to live in a mobile home park is affordability. Mobile homes are much less expensive than a traditional house. In fact, buying a mobile home outright may be the only way you can afford to buy a house at all!
Mobile homes are also cheaper to maintain than traditional houses. You’re not responsible for most of the maintenance and upkeep that comes with living in a house, like mowing your lawn or paying for landscaping services. It’s all included in your monthly rent!
How Much Do Mobile Home Parks Cost?
Advantages of Mobile Home Parks
- Affordability – Unlike traditional homes, mobile home parks are often cheaper to rent than apartments. This is because they don’t require much up-front cost to set up (neither do you, as a tenant). And since they are usually publicly owned, you don’t have to foot the bill for utilities (utilities are shared among the park’s common areas).
- Space and Privacy – Because mobile home parks are large, open spaces, you have the freedom to build your own home the way you want. You can choose from a variety of floor plans, sizes, and designs. And because there are no walls or fences to keep your neighbors from looking into your space, you have far more space than you’d have in a typical house.
- Location – If you’re new to the area, a mobile home park maybe your best option for locating your new home. They are often centrally located and close to everything you need. You may also choose to live in a mobile home park if you’re downsizing from a traditional house.
Disadvantages of Mobile Home Parks
- Conformity – One of the biggest disadvantages is that you have to follow strict rules and regulations. You are not allowed to build a shed on your lot, for example. You aren’t even allowed to paint your home a different color than the one it came in. If you want to make any changes or additions, you have to go through the park’s management.
- Mobile Home Park Tenants – Mobile home parks tend to attract tenants who don’t always take care of their property and surrounding areas. The result is that there may be trash, litter, or other unsightly things visible in the park. This can lead some people to believe that mobile home parks are unsafe or unkempt places to live.
- Disaster Vulnerability – Mobile homes are extremely vulnerable during natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, fires and tornadoes because they aren’t bolted down and can easily be picked up by strong winds. In fact, mobile
Mobile home parks are a great way for people to live in a community where they can get to know their neighbors and have access to amenities such as swimming pools, tennis courts, and playgrounds. If you think that living in a mobile home park is right for you, you should visit several to get a feel for the different communities.
Let us help you find the best mobile home community in Bakersfield, CA for you and your family, visit our website, and let’s get started.